There’s nothing like time away in the great outdoors to alleviate the stress of the urban grind. But you didn’t pack your tackle and rods just to have a few more hairs turn gray pitching the imperfect tent or losing power after the sun goes down. These days, “roughing it” doesn’t have to be more than a romanticized turn of phrase. Settle your own frontier with these seven must-have accessories for your next fishing trip.
Whether you played it safe and stocked it with cold ones, hot dogs and potato salad or are relying on your angling abilities to fill it up, a fast-cooling, low-power consuming fridge will make your outing a breeze. Boasting long battery life, easy portability and plenty of space, portable refrigerators keep your perishables cool and fresh in all seasons.
- Sturdy, anti-vibration construction can withstand bumpy conditions over any terrain
- Features digital thermostat control panel to regulate interior temperatures
- Pick up a grill that mounts right to your hitch to complete your portable kitchen
You’re likely to get wet on this venture, either from the ruckus raised by a hooked catfish or from splashing through the shallows in your waders. That’s expected. But no one likes getting caught in the middle of a flash storm, so a high-quality tent is essential to keep everyone safe, warm and dry.
- Shock-corded fiberglass poles won’t go anywhere – no matter how intemperate the tempest
- Ample interior offers plenty of space for sleeping bags, as well as sufficient headroom
- Mesh windows let in the fresh air and offer breathtaking views at night
A little fresh air and sunshine will do you good – besides the good fishing, it’s what brought you here, after all. But as with everything else, sunshine in excess can ruin everything. Get out of the heat and avoid the burn with the full or partial protection – your choice – offered by a waterproof and UV-protected awning.
- Steel pegs and additional tie-down points ensure immovable ground grip
- Creates a larger shaded area for lounging, cleaning and other campground activities
- Some models feature zippered doors with mesh panels to let fresh air through
When you think of how to prepare for a fishing trip, the first things that inevitably come to mind are your fishing rods, your lures, sunscreen, some pans for cooking – everything you need for a fun weekend outing. But when things break down or need an adjustment – and Murphy says they will – you’re going to want a fully-equipped toolbox close at hand to take care. The perfect kit will safely transport your wrenches, screwdrivers and ratchets.
- Durably constructed from a range of products – from marine-grade aluminum to ABS plastic
- Sealed lid keeps your tools dry and in optimal working condition
- Packs a lot of weight but can be neatly tucked away to save size
At the lakeside, there’s really no finer source of illumination by night than the moon and stars themselves. But when things get too dark, or you just want to power up your cell phone, you'll need a reliable power source. Available in a range of watt counts, these must-have accessories are especially handy in an electrical emergency.
- Easy-to-read display shows AC frequency, digital battery voltage and wattage consumption
- Sizable but can be wheeled around camp by a removable handle
- Perfect for charging all of your portable electronics (because sometimes we can’t truly go “unplugged”)
As relaxing as it can be to sit and wait for the fish to come nibbling, bringing your kayaks or canoe along is a great way to get your blood pumping between catches. Make your trawl easier with a top-notch, topside canoe carrier or kayak rack and enjoy hassle-free boat hauling every time.
- Padded cradles keep your kayaks free of dents and scrapes
- Tie-downs included for added security on the road
- No tools needed for installation