There’s plenty of information on the Web about how to upgrade your car or truck’s exhaust system and exhaust headers in order to get more power and better performance from your ride. But, there’s not a whole lot of information about maintaining your exhaust system in order to help it run better and last longer. Exhaust system upkeep is essential in order to get the best results possible from your system and to keep it looking good.
Maintaining Your Exhaust System
Whether you have a Flowmaster or a Corsa exhaust, you need to make sure you’re giving your system the proper TLC. The exhaust from your vehicle exits through your muffler. Because the exhaust is dark in color, it causes your muffler to also get dirty and become discolored.
Most stock car mufflers are basically disposable, meaning that they’re not meant to be cleaned, but rather replaced. Longer lasting performance mufflers may include instructions on how to maintain them through regular cleanings and care.
Exhaust System Cleaning Steps
When it comes to cleaning the outside of your muffler and your exhaust tips, however, there are efficient ways to get the job done and help your exhaust system shine like new again.
- Use a dry rag or towel to wipe off as much soot and dirt as possible from the outside of the muffler.
- Add 1 tsp of dishwashing soap to a quart of warm water. Use a rag and this solution to wash the outside of your muffler. The dishwashing soap should help to cut grease and remove stains that the dry rag couldn’t get.
- Dry your muffler completely. If it still looks dingy or has lost its chrome-like sheen, continue with the following steps to shine it up.
- Find a good metal polish and apply with even pressure across the tarnished surface.
- Change surfaces of your rag often and apply even pressure to buff the affected area clean until a shine appears.
Is It Time to Upgrade Your Exhaust System?
If you’re looking for more than just a quick shine, or if your muffler is beyond repair, it may be time you consider upgrading your exhaust system. Check out the exhaust reviews on our website to help you determine which exhaust system to go with. You’ll find reviews on top brands, like Magnaflow, Gibson exhaust and Borla exhaust. Plus, you can read up on the popular styles, like a cat back exhaust system or a diesel exhaust system.