There are few things out there that are both exciting and relaxing. Cruising the watery world with a kayak, canoe or a standup paddleboard is one of ‘em. The mood changes swiftly when the fun comes to an end and you are left with a daunting dingy to lift onto your J-style kayak carrier. Are you up a creek without a paddle? Not if you combine the magic of leverage with these simple kayak loading tips to get your boat where it belongs.
Finding the Right Location
It starts with the rack. Either simplifying or complicating the process, the style of the rack dictates whether the watercraft loads from the front or the side of your vehicle. Products like the Rhino-Rack T-Loader load from the rear while the Thule Racks Hull-A-Port Kayak Carrier loads from the side of the car. Now, let’s get loading:
- Start with a good spot
- Find a flat area to park your ride.
- Make sure this is a low traffic area so you can take your time
- Grassy areas protect the finish of your toys, if you have to slide them during loading
The Install Process
- Prepare for the operation.
- Position your floating friend at least 2 feet away from vehicle.
- Clear the roof rack of straps and open the hold-downs.
- Pull out the rack extensions to their full length.
- For small kayaks, lift from the cockpit until you can set the craft into the J-carrier.
- For large craft, lift either the bow or stern until it rests on one of the extensions or canoe rollers.
- With one end supported, lift the opposite end and either slide or roll the boat into its cradle.
- Lock your watercraft into place and you are done.
Choosing the Right Rack for Your Vehicle
From kraken-sized kayaks to ponderous paddleboards, these techniques let you to load your toys without breaking anything, including yourself. With the help of racks like the Inno Racks Dual Kayak Rack and the Yakima LandShark Kayak Rack, your boats stay protected for the trip home. Be sure to check out some canoe carriers reviews, they floated our customer’s boats. And if you have any specific questions, just drop a comment below.