Few spray-on products work as advertised, despite the best efforts of a flamboyant salesman and a catchy gimmick. Unlike a cure for baldness that accidentally coats your ears with a fuzzy mess, spray-in bed liners last more than a day and look great. Long gone are the days of taking your truck to a specialty shop to lay down a bed coating for a monster wad of dough. Now, do-it-yourself (DIY) kits allow you to spray on your own truck bed liner with professional results. In one afternoon and with the patience to watch paint dry, these liners provide custom protection for your rough and tumble rig. Just follow these simple steps and enjoy the best in bed protection at a fraction of what the “pros” charge.
Preparing the Bed
- Wash the bed with a car wash soap that’s free of wax or protectants and allow it to fully dry
- Scuff the surface of the bed with 36 grit sandpaper or equivalent. This provides a good surface for the liner to adhere to
- Wipe the bed clean of all sanding debris and dust
- Mask off areas that do you not wish to have the liner on
- Coat the bed with the included adhesion promoter or primer, depending on your kit
Setting Up For the Spray
- Connect the spray-gun and adjust the air pressure to the manufacturer recommended level
- Mix a small amount first and test spray a piece of cardboard. Adjust the spray pattern accordingly
Coating the Bed
- Fill the hopper and spray the bed with the gun 18” away in long, sweeping motions. Be sure to vary the spray paths to avoid any “shadowing” patterns from forming
- Apply thin coats with 10 minute drying time in between until the desired thickness is reached
- Remove all masking tape and allow the liner to cure for the recommended length of time
Congratulations on Installing a Spray-in Liner!
While preparing the bed takes a fair amount of time, unlike dropping in a truck bed mat, the rewards of a perfect coating make the extra effort to your truck well worth it. With such a nice looking bed liner installed, it’s hard not to brag about it. If you want to comment on your experience or need some idea of what the task is like from actual customers, check out our pickup bed liner reviews.