As someone who uses your tools on a daily basis, you often face a pesky problem. You need easy access to your equipment, as well as secure protection from sticky-fingered thieves. And you’ve found the simple solution – a truck bed toolbox. Truck tool box installation is an easy DIY task and can often be completed in just a matter of minutes. Since toolboxes come in several sizes and styles, the specific directions may vary (always follow the included instructions), but if you follow these four helpful steps, you can count on a smooth installation.
Typical Toolbox Installation Steps
- First, determine where you’re going to place the tool box in your truck bed. Most people choose to install truck boxes directly behind the cab. Wherever you choose, just make sure you can easily open the tool box.
- Measure the width of the box, and then cut rubber or foam padding to place on your truck rails to protect from scratching. If you have a bed liner in place, you can skip this step.
- Enter the rubber j-bolt plugs into the pre-drilled holes, if they’re not already there. Then, place the box on top of the padding or bed liner.
- Open the tool box to expose the interior. From underneath the box, insert the hook of the j-bolt under the bed rail and poke the threaded part through the rubber plug. Apply a washer from the hardware kit and then tighten in place. Do this with all four j-bolts. You’ll want to make sure everything is tight to prevent loosening, but not tight enough to damage the bed rails.
- Every toolbox includes all of the clamps and hardware you'll need for mounting
- Most toolboxes require only simple hand tools you probably have in your truck right now
- Minor drilling may be required to install your toolbox - a few simple holes through the inside of the bed rails may be needed to securely mount your box.
Truck and Truck Bed Accessories
Now that you’ve got your truck bed storage sorted out, you can add some upgrades that make your truck a real burden-bearing beast. Outfitting your rig with a set of nerf bars or running boards grants you easy access to every inch of that new crossover. A retractable tailgate step gives you a leg up into your truck bed when you need it then slides out of sight when you don’t. Not to mention, pairing your toolbox with a sleek tonneau cover gives your truck serious style. Find everything you need for your truck at AutoAnything!