With all of the critters chomping, shrubs scratching and the ever-present smell of smoke in your hair, the great outdoors is a real bear. Although the tough aspect of camping is a good enough reason to do it in the first place, doesn’t mean you have to completely rough it. Using a wide variety of camping accessories simplifies planning a complicated vacation, but deciding which items to bring in the first place is hard at times.
This list makes choosing the right gear a walk in the park. Best of all, if you have questions or comments about any of the following accessories, just follow the trail of outdoor information to the bottom of the page.
Cars are great for transportation, but really show their weaknesses when the time comes to haul more than a trunk’s-worth of stuff. Like cramming into a clown car, trying to fit a kayak, bike or anything meant for the outdoors in the back seat is a joke. By moving the toys to the roof with a roof rack or cargo carrier, a silly amount of room is freed up.
- Adds cargo space to your car
- Roof racks are compatible with specific carrying accessories
- Cargo boxes keep gear secure and dry
You drove your truck to the great outdoors so, you might as well sleep in it too. Not surprisingly, a flat spot is ideal for pitching a tent, and what better place than the truck bed? With a truck tent and a few minutes, your truck becomes a rolling campground.
- Available in multiple bed sizes
- Being in the bed keeps the moisture away and the critters at bay
- Makes thieves think twice before stealing from your truck… since you are in it
Sleeping in your truck saves you quite a bit of dough over giving up on camping and getting a hotel room. The only problem is that the truck’s bed is not designed with the human anatomy in mind. Simply stated, dropping an air mattress in the bed saves your spleen from rocks, twigs, squirrels or whatever else you may roll over in the middle of the night.
- Custom made to fit your truck bed size
- Inflates quickly with included pump
- Better than sleeping on a brutally hard steel
If you own a bike rack, you need a way to bolt it to the car. With a trailer hitch, attaching your bike rack and accessories to your vehicle has never been easier or more secure
- Hitches are custom fit for your car or truck
- Available in multiple classes to suit your towing needs
- Choose concealed styles for a clean look
Mountain biking has really taken off in the recent years, with advances in frame design and suspension making the off-road-impossible a reality. Thankfully, bike racks have evolved into equally complex and refined systems to securely hold any bike.
- Styles available to hold up to 5 bikes
- Choose from designs that hold the bike from the frame or the wheels
- Universally connect to most hitch receivers
6. Cargo Management
Using straps, strings and bungee cords for cargo management is a gamble. Sadly, there’s a 50/50 chance that either the cargo survives, or gets mangled like a delivery driver played soccer with it. When luck isn’t enough, choosing the right cargo management accessories protects your stuff and your interior.
- Contain spills and prevent carpet damage with a cargo liner
- Cargo nets keep gear from flying out of the bed
- Truck Luggage cargo management systems secure shifting loads
You get a great tan while on vacation, but the toys that you brought along don’t fare so well. Like a mobile garage, covers protect your jet skis, bikes, and ATVs from the elements, even when being towed behind your RV.
- Shields your toys from the elements
- Available in different sizes for a snug fit
- Installs quickly and folds up for easy storage
Holding a jumbo mocha choco grande latte in your caffeine-induced shaky hand not only has you trembling, but has your upholstery fearing an imminent sugary shower. Wake up and protect your interior from a slow-roasted demise, with a set of seat covers.
- Custom designed for a tight fit
- Guards seats from stains and wear
- Many styles and colors available to customize your ride
Do you remove everything from the bed and cram it all into the cab for security when you stop for some food on the road trip? Secure your stuff under a tonneau cover instead and prevent strangers from getting their “grab on” while you get your “grub on.”
- Locks your bed down tight
- Protects your gear from the elements
- Reduces drag to boost MPGs
Need something to ease those knees when the time comes to hit the road? If so, step up with comfort on a set of nerf bars or running boards.
- Makes it easier and safer to enter and exit lifted trucks
- Adds great looks in multiple styles and finishes
- Running boards protect the rocker panel from road debris
AutoAnything Expert Insight
When getting ready for a big camping trip, the last thing you want to worry about is if your gear is up to the task. With useful features and top-notch construction, this list of accessories makes wilderness adventures bear-able.