One of the best mods you can bolt on your car is a shiny set of custom rims. And, while they look incredible to you, they also look incredible to unscrupulous individuals. It’s easy to see why they make such a tempting target for potential thieves, with the average cost of a set of rims and tires running well north of a thousand bucks. Luckily, you can avoid the heartache of seeing your car rimless and on cinderblocks by securing your precious blings with a set of wheel locks. Here’s the gist on these inexpensive, yet effective security devices.
What is a Wheel Lock?
- Wheel locks install in place of your car’s lug nuts and can only be removed with a special key that comes with the set.
- Types of wheel locks vary depending on the wheel style they install to and the shape of the key used.
- You can replace 1 or all of your lug nuts with wheel locks, it’s up to you.
- If not properly torqued, wheel locks can rattle loose over time, just like lug nuts. So use a torque wrench to install them.
- Tip: Make sure the wheel lock’s key is fully seated on the lock—otherwise you’ll round the key off, making it very difficult to remove the lock in the future.
Why You Need Wheel Locks
- The cost of wheel locks is far less than that of a replacement set of rims. Besides that, wheel locks give you the peace of mind that your rims will be where you last left them.
- Thieves generally go after the most tempting targets, so having an anti-theft deterrent on your car, such as a set of wheel locks, can be enough to discourage them.
- Wheel locks are virtually impossible for thieves to remove. That’s because, wheel locks leave just enough room for the key to fit around them, which is nowhere near enough space for a thief’s prying tool to fit into.
- Unlike bare OEM lug nuts, wheel locks look nice and lock down custom rims without detracting from their beauty.
If you’re wondering where to buy wheel locks, look no further than AutoAnything. We have wheel locks that are sure to install in minutes and safely keep your rims attached to your car. Best of all, you can order a set today at the best prices online, thanks to our 1-year low price guarantee.