Car sun shades are designed to block the sun’s harsh UV rays from damaging your interior, and they keep your cockpit cooler at the same time. Installing your new windshield sun shade is as easy as one, two, three. Installation will vary slightly, based on the type of shade you have. Here are some guidelines for installing your new windshield sun shade, depending on its style.
Foldable Style Installation
- Open the sun shade in your vehicle (instead of opening it outside your ride and then trying to put it in the interior).
- Slide the sun shade’s bottom edge onto the lower edge of the dash where the dash meets the windshield. Make sure that the sun shade is as close to the windshield as possible.
- Press the sun shade’s upper edge against the windshield’s upper edge. The sun shade should have a small notch in the top that allows the shade to fit around your rear view mirror, resulting in a relatively flushed fit against the windshield.
- Pull the sun shade’s upper edge toward you and maneuver it around the rear view mirror. Fold the sun shade together gently, so that its panels line up when it’s closed. Store in convenient carrying case.
Roll-Up Style Installation
- Unroll your new sun shade.
- Place your sun shade flush against your vehicle’s windshield and place your sun visors down so that they hold the shade securely against the glass. If your sun shade has small suction cups, press them firmly against the glass.
- When you’re done using your sun shade, roll up the sun shade and use the built-in Velcro straps to secure it for easy and convenient storage.
Accordion Style Installation
- Sit in the front passenger seat and attach two mounting brackets to the buttons on the back of the sun shade.
- When the brackets are in place, put your sun shade next to the pillar post on the passenger side, positioning it in the center of the top and bottom of the windshield. Make sure the handle’s positioned so you can grab it from the driver’s side with your right hand.
- Make sure the mounting brackets are both lying flat on the windshield and mark their positions using masking tape, an erasable marker or wax crayon.
- Ensure that your windshield is clean. Remove backing paper from the adhesive pads on the brackets and press the sun shade toward the windshield so that the brackets stick securely to the glass. Try to get as close to the marked positions as possible.
- Gently slide the sun shade off the brackets and press firmly on the brackets’ flat parts.
- Place the sun shade onto the brackets on the passenger side.
- Attach one bracket to the button on the sun shade’s handle and extend all the way across the windshield to the driver’s side windshield post. Pull the sun shade around the mirror (not under it).
- As done before, mark the latch brackets’ positions using masking tape, an erasable marker or wax crayon. Make sure to leave some room at the top of the windshield to lift your sun shade off of the bracket to retract it into its casing.
- Make sure the windshield is clean and attach the driver’s side latch bracket.
Tips from AutoAnything
No matter what vehicle you drive, we always recommend sticking with a custom-patterned windshield sun shade for the optimal fit. When you purchase from AutoAnything, you’re sure to get a durable, long-lasting product, crafted from the finest materials available. We also feature numerous windshield sun shade reviews, so you can easily find out which accessory is the best match for your vehicle.