Step-by-Step Installation Process
1. Check your owner’s manual to make sure you buy the correct car air filter replacement for your vehicle – the shape may vary between vehicles.
2. Open your vehicle’s hood and find the air filter box. This should be a black, plastic box either on the top or the side of your engine. Usually, the filter box has a large hose sticking out of its side. On older models with carburetors, the air filter is usually under a round cover made of metal or plastic and is located on the top of the engine. Fuel-injected, newer cars often have a rectangular or square air filter housing that’s found between the engine and front grille.
3. Open the air filter box using the metal clips. While some air filter boxes have clips or clamps, others have screws and wing nuts. Keep the screws and other small parts in a safe location so you can easily find them later. Remove the dirty air filter, which should be a rectangular or round filter made of paper, gauze or cotton.
4. Check your current air filter to see if it’s due for a replacement. If you see lots of dirt and debris inside the folds, it’s time for a new air filter.
5. Clean the air filter housing before inserting the replacement. You can use a vacuum cleaner to suck up any dirt, or connect the air hose to the compressor to blow out existing dust and debris. Prevent dirt from getting into your engine by sealing the air conduit with removable adhesive tape.
6. Place your new performance air filter in the filter box and make sure it fits snugly. Close the top of the box, snap the clips and rest assured that your engine’s breathing easy with this easy upgrade.
Note: Off-road vehicles may have more complex filters, while older models have permanent air filters. Clean and replace these following the instructions in your owner’s manual.
Tips from AutoAnything
No matter what vehicle you drive, we recommend sticking with quality aftermarket air filters from one of the industry’s leading brands. When you shop with reputable brands like K&N, aFe and Airaid, you’re sure to get a long-lasting product that’s crafted from top-grade materials. Check out our numerous air filters reviews and receive AutoAnything’s Free Shipping and 1-Year, Lower Price Guarantee with each purchase.