When you want to equip your truck with maximum front-end protection, set it up with a brush guard, or grille guard. Like body armor for the front of your truck, these heavy-duty accessories preserve your headlights and grille against whatever may come their way — from a runaway deer to an onslaught of road-debris. They also provide a great mounting point for winches and extra lighting options.
The brush guard installation process will vary depending on what style you choose and the vehicle in question, but the guidelines below should serve as a great starting point.
Installation Process in 7 Easy Steps
- Install the lower brackets onto the grille guard with the supplied hardware. You’ll want to hand-tighten these brackets.
- Have somebody help you lift the bar into place. Make sure it’s centered on the bumper.
- Hold the brush guard in place and have somebody mark the bumper or bumper cover. Using a grease pencil, have them trace along the outside of the brackets as well.
- Cut the marked plastic away using your die grinder and cut-off wheel. Test-fit the guard again, and repeat the trim procedure until the brush bar mounts sit squarely on the frame. Mark the bolt holes.
- Drill out the bolt holes and slide a washer over each one. Then, slide the guard into the holes. Slide another washer into place and install the nuts.
- Slide the top mounting brackets through your grille, lining one side up with your brush bar mount and resting the other against your radiator core support. Repeat the fitting, drilling and mounting procedure for each of the top mounts, hand-tightening each bolt.
- Torque all mount bolts in place.
What’s the Right Brush Guard for You?
When it comes time to order your brush guard, take a look at our selection here at AutoAnything. We only carry the top names in the game, like Black Horse Off Road and Westin grille guards. Vehicle-specific brush guards are custom-crafted for a perfect fit and easy installation — so just enter your year, make and model in the upper right-hand corner.
If you’re having a tough time making your final decision, check out our grille guard and bull bar review page. And don’t forget to search for our grille guard tech center for even more insightful information.