Sure, you hooked a tuner to your ride, but what setting do you currently have it on? If you can’t answer that question, you might be running the wrong tune for your driving style and aren’t taking full advantage of your programmer. That’s why we put together these simple steps on how to get the most out of your tuner. So, read on and make sure your ride is on the right track to performance.
Update your Tuner
If your programmer isn’t running up-to-date software, you’re probably missing out on the best tunes the manufacturer has to offer. For that reason, it’s important to plug your programmer into your home computer and check for firmware updates.
Picking the Proper Program
- Not surprisingly, you should be running a towing tune if you’re towing a boat, trailer or hauling a heavy load
- Many programmers give you the choice of power settings to work with, but will require you to fill up with higher octane fuel to prevent engine damage. That being said, they call it a 91 octane tune for a reason
- If you want better fuel economy when running a tune, you have 2 options: load up a fuel saving program, or if you’re rockin’ a performance tune, use the gas pedal as little as possible
- After bolting on other performance mods, be sure to check your tuner to see if it has a specific tune that has those mods in mind. Many programmers can be updated with custom tunes to work more effectively with your mods. Custom tunes for cold air intakes are a great example
Use the Extra Settings in Your Programmer
- If you install bigger tires on your rig, be sure to use your tuner’s tire size setting. This will calibrate the speedometer, which is great because the bigger tire you mount, the lower your speedometer will read. So let’s say you upgraded your truck to 35’s and think you’re cruising down the road at 75 MPH. In reality, you’ll be going faster than that, which makes your truck a huge target for speed traps. This also goes for swapping out differential ring and pinion gears. Luckily, your tuner will probably have a setting to adjust for that, too
- Let’s face it, some rides leave you scratching your head when it comes to their choice of gears. Some vehicles awkwardly shift into 4th gear and back down to 3rd for seemingly no reason, while others make you wait several seconds for a neck-snapping downshift after stomping on the gas. Thankfully, many tuners give you the choice to adjust automatic transmission shift points and firmness so you can easily alleviate annoying shift characteristics and make your ride feel far more responsive, so be sure to use this function if it’s offered with your tuner
- Got a check engine light? Don’t take your vehicle into the shop just yet. Almost every tuner we offer has the ability to read and clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTC), so you can get rid of that annoying check engine light after finding and fixing the issue, and avoid having to pay a mechanic or dealership a diagnostic fee
Why AutoAnything is your Tuning Headquarters
- We have the best tuners online and at the best prices, thanks to our 1-year low price guarantee
- You can read reviews submitted by actual customers like you. That way, you’ll know just what to expect out of your new performance programmer
- We offer Free Shipping to the continental USA for most of our performance accessories