Your Cart Is Empty

How to Choose the Right Seat Cover Pattern

Seat Configurations

Bucket Seats

A bucket seat is contoured to hold one individual while bench seating is a platform designed to seat multiple people. To ensure you seat covers fit properly it is important to identify the terminology surrounding different types of bucket and bench seats.. Most cars on the road today have a low back bucket seat which simply means it has an adjustable headrest. In contrast, a high back bucket seat is one single back section without a separate two-post headrest.

Bench Seats

Bench seats on the other hand are identified by referencing what percentage of the bench seat cushion is built into the drivers seat before there’s a split in the seat cushion. Think of your bench seat in terms of being at 100% from left to right. A 60/40 split means that 60% of the lower bench seat cushion is built into the driver side seat while the remaining 40% represents a new cushion on the passenger side.. In contrast, a 40/60 indicates that only 40% of the seat cushion is connected to the driver’s seat while the larger remaining portion, or 60% makes up the passenger side seat bottom cushion. A 40/20/40 configuration explains that out of your 100% of bench, the split is distributed with 40% on the edges with a smaller seat (20%) in the middle.

Seat Belt Location

You may not have paid much attention to the placement of your seatbelts or your style of headrest before, but nothing gets overlooked when it comes to buying seat covers. The most common type of seatbelt is mounted to the frame of your vehicle at the ‘B’ pillar. That’s just the technical term for the support column that is behind your driver’s side window. The other, less common type is when the shoulder strap comes from a slot that is built into the seat. There are two types of headrest – removable or fixed – which might be the easiest explanation you’ll read today.

Seat Airbag Compatibility

Finally, all the seat covers we sell are designed to work safely with your factory airbags, or Side Impact Protection System (SIPS). The seat covers are manufactured in such a way that they will still allow safe deployment of side impact airbags built into seats.

Seat Cover Fitment Types

It’s a matter of personal preference when it comes to choosing between the three fit types for seat covers. Depending on the amount you want to spend and the fit and finish you're looking for. Read below for what each style has to offer.

  • Custom-fit seat covers are crafted for a precise fit to the seats of your specific year, make and model. They take into account every inch of your seat, even the ergonomic controls, to sculpt a set of covers that fit like they came from the factory.
  • Semi-custom seat covers follow a more general pattern that is designed to work with your vehicle's seats, as well as similarly sized seats in other cars, trucks and SUVs.
  • Universal seat covers offer more of a blanket cover and are designed to fit any vehicle. They install in seconds, so you can slip them on when you need them and store them away in your trunk when you don't.

Related Videos

Shop Popular Trucks

Top Makes



Top Models

Next Steps

Shop Popular Seat Covers

Shop Top Seat Cover Brands

Shop All Seat Covers

Questions & Comments