Pros and Cons of Rooftop Ski Racks & Snowboard Racks
Save yourself the headache of trying to slide, cram or fit your expensive, delicate skis or snowboards in the interior of your ride. Before you hit the slopes, check out this article to see what kind of benefits are offered by rooftop ski racks and snowboard racks.
- Rooftop racks are generally less expensive than other cargo carriers.
- They offer a very secure and stable way to carry cargo.
- They leave complete access to your vehicle doors and trunk.
- A low-profile design allows more clearance and is less detrimental to gas mileage than other rooftop cargo carriers — like cargo boxes.
- Consider the added cost of a roof rack system if your vehicle isn’t equipped with factory rails or crossbars.
- Rooftop racks lack versatility since they can only hold skis and snowboards.
- Loading them can be difficult since you have to lift heavy gear overhead.
- While cargo boxes are more expensive and affect fuel efficiency, they offer extra protection for your gear from snow, salt and road-debris, along with the benefit of year-round use for luggage and other sporting equipment.
Shop for Rooftop Ski Racks & Snowboard Racks
Things to Consider
How many pairs of skis or snowboards do you need?
- The best roof top snowboard rack for your ride will accommodate the proper amount. Most roof racks are available in several lengths and sizes to fit your needs and can carry up to six pairs of skis, four snowboards, or a combination thereof.
- Rooftop ski and snowboard racks offer numerous advantages for carrying your winter cargo, but are considered more difficult to install or remove than a hitch-mounted rack. It may call for the additional cost of a roof rack system if your vehicle isn’t factory-equipped.
- Most rooftop racks offer safe and stable transport and come with locking systems that secure your gear to your rack, and your rack to your vehicle’s roof. Thule products feature a patented One-Key lock that even allows you to set all your racks to use the same key for added convenience.